Purpose

This is a blog containing the build history of an experimental home built airplane. The RV-7A is a two place, piston powered, low wing, tractor configuration, tricycle gear, aluminum and composite aircraft. The original purpose of this blog was to document the construction of my experimental category aircraft in order to satisfy the build log requirement for the FAA. Now it's just for the amusement of friends and family as I document some of our aviation experiences. For more information on the RV series of aircraft see www.vansaircraft.com.

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Step 6.8, Aileron push tubes

I had planned to go straight on to riveting the bottom skins, but it is clear that I will need help to get that started.  The ribs underneath the wing walk area are just too close together for me to get my hands in there to hold the bucking bar.  Fortunately, I know a little brown woman with small arms and hands!  Although she didn't come with the kit, she has been indispensable to its construction.  If you don't already have a helper with small hands, consider adding one to your next tool order.

So I'll have to wait for Carolina to help before I can get the bottom skins on, but in the mean time I'll move on to the push tubes.



Here is the end of the first one just before the rivets went in.  Their construction is quite simple.  Just cut the tube to length and put the threaded aluminum end in place, drill and rivet.  Spacing the holes around the circumference was about the only 'excitement' in the operation.

Luckily, I just happened to remember my old 6th grade teacher from almost forty years ago: "Some day you'll have to evenly space six rivets around the end of an RV7A aileron push tube."  And she went on, "The required spacing will be .524 x D.  Remember this and you'll thank me later."  I can't believe I ever doubted her.  

So I quickly mark out the spacing for six rivets on a piece of paper that is then wrapped around the tube.  The final result is six perfectly spaced holes thanks to Mrs. Sharp, with a little help from Archimedes et al.


Next, the ball end bearings are screwed in and the end-to-end length is adjusted per plan.  I temporarily installed the tube so I could play with the bellcrank and get the photo below.


Those familiar with RV anatomy, may notice that the other smaller push tube is also installed, but I didn't get any photos of its construction.  The smaller tube is made from steel and is fairly heavy.  I'm not sure why Van has elected to use a steel tube here;  Good thing its not very long.  He probably didn't want to open up a larger hole in the rear spar that an aluminum push tube would  necessarily require.

Moving on the the bottom skins now -- really!



No comments:

Post a Comment