Purpose

This is a blog containing the build history of an experimental home built airplane. The RV-7A is a two place, piston powered, low wing, tractor configuration, tricycle gear, aluminum and composite aircraft. The original purpose of this blog was to document the construction of my experimental category aircraft in order to satisfy the build log requirement for the FAA. Now it's just for the amusement of friends and family as I document some of our aviation experiences. For more information on the RV series of aircraft see www.vansaircraft.com.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Step 11.0, Finish kit

At very long last the finish kit has arrived.  The finish kit was ordered from Van's in the last week of September anticipating an 8 week delivery time.  By the time December rolled around I was expecting delivery at any time...  Tick, tock... At the end of December I called Van's to inquire.  It turns out they mailed me a confirmation of my order on October 7 that itself requires a confirmation.  Since I did not receive this confirmation requiring a confirmation, my order was unconfirmed!  Consequently, my order was stalled -- indefinitely, I presume since they already had accepted my deposit and had written authorization to charge the balance to my credit card.

Still, I remained busy on the project during the wait so I can't be too angry about the mix up.  I just feel like I spent a lot of time wondering when, and planning for, the finish kit arrival.  If only I had realized that I had an additional 6 weeks of lead time on this order, I might have been more productive.  Perhaps this might have been a good time to take on Middle East peace or cancer.


And so began the inventory.  The packing list is spread out along the nearest horizontal surface, in this case the right wing.  One at a time the pieces come out of the box, are checked off the list, and then are carried upstairs for temporary storage.


So what's in the finish kit?  Well, not nearly so much as your bank account might expect.  The big items are the canopy, and the fiberglass parts such as the cowling and wheel pants and fairings.  There are also the wheels, brakes, front landing gear leg, swiveling nose wheel fork, and motor mount.



And so it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment