Purpose

This is a blog containing the build history of an experimental home built airplane. The RV-7A is a two place, piston powered, low wing, tractor configuration, tricycle gear, aluminum and composite aircraft. The original purpose of this blog was to document the construction of my experimental category aircraft in order to satisfy the build log requirement for the FAA. Now it's just for the amusement of friends and family as I document some of our aviation experiences. For more information on the RV series of aircraft see www.vansaircraft.com.

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Step 12.5, Wiring continued

Wiring an airplane is a test of dogged determination. Or should I say uncommon perseverance. I guess they're really the same thing.  But this is just a thing that begs saying it twice. Perhaps it's a bit of an exaggeration.  I think not.  It seems that this phase of the project is destined to continue for centuries.

Does this explain why airplanes didn't exist before the 20th century?  Might they have been begun in the middle ages and only finished recently?  No one knows.

One thing I am certain of is that I'm wearing the gloss off of my formerly shiny shop floor wandering about looking for the wire stripper or the crimper.  Not that one, the one that fits these special connector pins.  When I finally get the right tools in place, I forget which pin I'm connecting, spawning yet another trip across the shop to recheck the already thoroughly rechecked plans.

When I get past this phase I'll be crowned the Ultimate Wiring Champion and perhaps have my own reality show.  Or not, either way I'll be finished with this and moving on.



It is not particularly difficult as there really are no inaccessible places or stubborn fasteners to encourage frustration.  It's just a lot of checking, rechecking, making labels, and crimping connectors.

Then there is the oft' repeated episode where I forget to slip on the heat-shrink tubing before the connector goes on.  Some may remember a very similar difficulty I faced when I would forget to slip on the B-nut before flaring the ends of the fuel and brake lines.  Arrrg!


Here's a look at the most common crimp connector pins that I'm using. It surprised me that I was able to assemble all of them in one place for this photo.  These boogers have a knack for staying out of sight when you need them.



A wing makes a handy work surface / schematic holder




And so it goes.  One wire at a time.  When I finish this page, I'll just have 6 more to go.



No comments:

Post a Comment