Purpose

This is a blog containing the build history of an experimental home built airplane. The RV-7A is a two place, piston powered, low wing, tractor configuration, tricycle gear, aluminum and composite aircraft. The original purpose of this blog was to document the construction of my experimental category aircraft in order to satisfy the build log requirement for the FAA. Now it's just for the amusement of friends and family as I document some of our aviation experiences. For more information on the RV series of aircraft see www.vansaircraft.com.

Monday, January 4, 2016

Year 4 Retrospective

Well another year passes and I find that it's helpful to consider the progress made.  My lack of blog posts recently is indicative of this final stage of construction -- the 90% complete with 90% to go phase.  It seems that many of the tasks at this point are interdependent such that completing one requires completing all of them and I have been reluctant to post on half completed tasks.

It is tempting to feel that not much progress is being made and so to remind myself and the gentle reader, last year's progress is reviewed to dispel any doubt that I have visited the shop this year. Once or twice...

January:  The interior components are test fit and the wiring is wrapping up.






By February I was on to fitting the rear window.


In March I was cutting the slots for the canopy hinges in the top forward skin.  This is the last skin to be riveted on and it marks a major milestone -- fuselage structure complete.   Later that month I decided to add electrically activated cowl flaps. The cowl flaps allow more cooling air to be cycled through the engine compartment.  This is important to while climbing to keep engine temperatures down.  At the same time, closing the flaps allows for a modest speed increase in cruise because the cooling drag is reduced.

 


Around April I thinking seriously about hanging the engine.  The first step was to transition to the engine stand where I could more easily add the accessory components 


In May we were working on the canopy.  We added a targa strip over the top and two side lips to help center the canopy and stiffen the structure.


And by June we were painting.




The painting continued right through the summer and fall.  Somewhere along the line I applied the N number.


...And hung the engine.

By December I was connecting control cables to the throttle quadrant.


An oil cooler (right) was added and the engine baffling (left) was begun.


By the end of December the cowling was being prepared for paint.



Trina slept though most of it.

And on the last day of this year's work, I mopped the shop floor.  This was the first time the plane has been rolled outside.


No comments:

Post a Comment