Purpose

This is a blog containing the build history of an experimental home built airplane. The RV-7A is a two place, piston powered, low wing, tractor configuration, tricycle gear, aluminum and composite aircraft. The original purpose of this blog was to document the construction of my experimental category aircraft in order to satisfy the build log requirement for the FAA. Now it's just for the amusement of friends and family as I document some of our aviation experiences. For more information on the RV series of aircraft see www.vansaircraft.com.

Friday, November 30, 2012

Step 6.5, Landing light install

The main activity for this posting is the landing and taxi light installation.  I have not yet decided what kind of landing and taxi lights to go with so I will just be fitting the attach brackets and lenses.  I will undoubtedly go with an LED technology because of the lower power, but I have yet to be see a landing light kit that I can get really excited about.

While I wait for the ideal LED solution to make itself apparent, I will go ahead and put in the light mounting bracket and make the cut outs in the leading edges of both wings.  I have purchased a lens and mount only kit from Duckworks Aviation.  The kit comes with all of the hardware and instructions necessary for putting a big hole in your recently completed wing and, thankfully, a much smaller hole in your wallet.


To start, use the supplied template to mark the cutout location.  Then using your choice of implements, brutalize your unsuspecting wing.  I started with the cutoff wheel and then finished the rounded corners with the saber saw.  I don't blame you if you are feeling a bit queasy at this point.  You're just experiencing sympathetic nervousness at the whole the idea of it.  Fear not, and read on.  It all works out in the end.  So here's a close up of the leading edge after the first saber saw attack.  



Some might call the previous photo gratuitous aluminum gore, but it is included here because I feel that it is important to be true to my artistic vision for this blog.  Not to mention my desire to increase the readership in the all important 18-35 age demographic. 


Once the rough cut was made, I smoothed the edges with a file and a 1" Scotch-Brite wheel in the die grinder.





Then  match drill the backing plates for the lens.  These reinforcing plates will get nutplates later on  for screws attaching the lens.


After cutting out the leading edge section, the lens itself must be cut to size which is about 3/4" larger than the hole.  The lens comes already bent to the shape of the leading edge which makes trimming the plastic somewhat more adventurous.  I used the band saw for this and had no real difficulty, but I did worry a bit.  But not too much.

I put masking tape on the lens while I was armed with sand paper.  The edges of the plastic are sanded smooth on the belt sander and then finished with a fine cut file, some sandpaper, and a trip past a buffing wheel with plastic compound.  Although I don't have a calibrated baby's bottom handy for comparison, I would say the edges of the plastic would be in the same ballpark.


Once the edges are smooth the mounting holes are match drilled through the wing skin and lens insuring a perfect fit.  Then the skin is dimpled and the holes in the lens are counter sunk.  There is a foam sealing tape included in the kit to apply to the inside edge of the cut out that will seal against the forward edge of the lens.  I put the lens in a plastic bag before installing it.  This will offer a modicum of protection against me during the balance of this aircraft's construction.


And there it is!  The right one anyway.  The left one looks just like it.  The wing is upside down on the bench so you're looking at the bottom side.  And that's all he wrote.

No comments:

Post a Comment